Monday, November 16, 2009

lost in translation

I was at my favourite fruit stall near Pelita (Grand Palace area) looking for mangoes; theres this row of stalls selling fruits just after the traffic light. It is just shocking how bad the quality of fruits that we get here. I remember going to the supermarket in Sydney (woolworth's) just around the corner from the hotel and there in the basement, the freshest and most beautiful fruits and veges of all colours.... its so freaking amazing. Since the supermarket is so near I just take the lift down and like buy food all the time its so fresh and tasty. Even the eggs are freaking delicious. And tomatoes. And so on... and my parents; they were like high on fresh fruits and produce. The look on their faces when it was time to pay at the counter was priceless.

Anyway, was busy picking mangoes when the auntie keep talking to me in Chinese. She was pointing at something at one point, went to the back and came back with a mango cut in half covered with one of those food plastic cover and showed that to me. She was still talking to me in Chinese and I was not in a good mood at that time so I was just shaking my head. Was minding my own business picking mangoes, handed the fruits to her for weighing and she kept on pointing at some pulasan looking fruits and kept babbling in Chinese. I kept on shaking my head and with a sigh paid and left the stall. Sometimes it gets really annoying, especially if you face this situation every single day... and also especially when I have been buying fruits at that stall all the time... and seeing the auntie all the time!!..

When i was in Phuket people talk to me in Thai. I can be believable as a Thai but I think its the bushy eyebrow... (think Thai PM). Thai people are really "friendly" almost every thai person you see will try to sell you something or get you to go somewhere. I found out the most effective and polite way to get rid of them is to place my hand together (like the buddhist prayer), bow a bit and say kapkumkap. I have no idea but it worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment